Warning Signs That Your Living Space Has A Hidden Mold Problem

As a homeowner, you would want your place to be beautiful and impressive. Ensuring that it is healthy is equally important because hidden issues like mold can cause a host of health issues for the residents. In fact, mold that produces mycotoxins is toxic and needs to be cleared before it causes any harm. Molds may grow indoors or outdoors, though they thrive in warm, damp, and humid environments. So the areas at risk include the bathrooms, kitchen, basements, ceiling tiles, carpet, around plumbing pipes, and under sinks. It is important to be vigilant and look for warning signs for the presence of mold, whether it is visible or not. Here are the signs you should consider seriously.

Warning Signs That Your Living Space Has A Hidden Mold Problem
Source

Your house smells musty

You may be doing the household cleaning well enough, but mold may still grow undetected and pose a real health risk. If your house smells musty, there is a reason to worry and look around for the growth at the susceptible places. Although it is easy to hide the odor by using an air freshener, this isn’t something you should ignore because of the long-term health implications it may have. Rather, you must try to understand the reason behind the odor and address the root of the problem.

The paint on the walls is bubbling

If you notice that the paint on the walls is bubbling, it is a clear indication of a hidden mold problem. It is most likely to thrive at moist places and bubbling happens because of moisture. Rather than covering up the issue with a fresh coat of wall paint, you need to find the actual source of the moisture and fix it. A leaky window sill, leaky plumbing or too much humidity may be responsible for the problem. Ensure that the area is scraped, patched, cleaned and thoroughly dried up after fixing the leak and before painting over.

You have symptoms of allergy

People often have allergic reactions to mold, which is a sign to consider seriously even if you cannot see anything on the surface. If anyone in the family is suffering consistently from symptoms such as coughing, congestion, and watery eyes, it is time to call a  Mold Removal Service sooner rather than later. Itching on the skin, cough without a cold, and aggravation of asthma symptoms are some other pointers that indicate a deep-rooted problem in your living space.

The floor feels squishy

When it comes to mold, homeowners often look around at places such as ceilings and walls to check for any signs. A soft spot in the hardwood floor is something you may overlook but it can be an indication. Check for moisture if you have access to the subfloor through a basement. Alternatively, you will have to pull up a section to assess the problem. Early detection is important because you will need to change the whole flooring of the moisture spread and the wood floor gets rotted.

Timely action can save you from a lot of hassle and expense, so you must be extra careful about these warning signs. A periodic check is worthwhile even if these signs are not showing up because mold removal is all about keeping your home and family healthy.