Are you dreaming of a bedroom that will let you drift off into the most soothing slumber? Revamping your sleeping space into a dreamy oasis doesn’t have to require a complete overhaul. Whether you’re suffering from lack of sleep or simply want a change in your life, there are a few tweaks you can make to create a bedroom you never want to leave. Keep reading below for tips on creating the perfect bedroom.
Get a comfortable mattress
Before you change anything in your bedroom, look at your mattress. How old is it? Is there wear and tear? Do you notice any sagging? If you don’t have a mattress that’s in good shape, you can be suffering severely. You spend a third of your life sleeping, and it’s during this time your body heals and restores itself, including your brain.
When you’re looking for mattresses, think about your sleeping position. Do you sleep on your side? A memory foam mattress will conform to the contours of your body to relieve pressure points on your hips, shoulders, and back.
If you’re a stomach or back sleeper, a firmer mattress, such as a hybrid, might do the trick. Hybrid mattresses use memory foam to add comfort but also use springs and coils to provide support and firmness to keep you comfortable.
Lastly, if you wake up with aches and pains, an adjustable mattress may help. Adjustable mattresses can raise the head and foot of your bed to offer varying positions for you to sleep in. They’re great for preventing back pain, combating sleep apnea, and reducing acid reflux.
Don’t skimp on your bedding
The bedding you use on top of your mattress is just as important as the mattress itself. A set of luxury sheets are a much better choice than run-of-the-mill sheets made from poor materials that can irritate you. Sure, they may be a little more expensive, but when you invest in your bedding, you invest in yourself.
Other bedding components you may want to consider include:
- Mattress protectors: A mattress protector covers your mattress and is often anti-liquid to prevent beverages, sweat, and bodily fluids from seeping into your mattress. They also protect you against germs, bacteria, dust mites, and other nasty microbes.
- Mattress pads: Mattress pads are similar to mattress protectors in that they cover your mattress. However, they differ in the fact that their sole purpose is to provide extra comfort rather than protect your mattress. If you feel like you’re sleeping on a slab of wood and can’t afford a new mattress, a mattress pad can do the trick.
- Memory foam pillow: Sleep apnea, neck pain, and trouble breathing can keep you up all night and deteriorate your health. A memory foam pillow can help combat issues like these and enhance the comfort of your sleep so you can catch the recommended 8 hours of Zzz’s every night.
Cozy up your floor
Once your mattress and bedding are taken care of, it’s time to look at the rest of your room. Do you have hardwood floors that send a shiver up your spine when you run to the bathroom in the middle of the night because they’re too cold? Cozy up your bedroom with an area rug that’s plush and warm.
When decorating with rugs, it’s essential you stick to the theme of your room in order to create a uniform look.
- First, make sure you pick the right size. An area rug that’s too small will look out of place, while a rug that’s too large will swallow up the entire room.
- Second, choose the right color. An area rug that matches the color of your walls and comforter will create a cohesive look that won’t be overwhelming.
- Lastly, place it in the right spot. If you have a large rug, you can place it underneath the bed and nightstands. However, if you have smaller rugs, you can place two identical ones on each side of the bed.
Add some greenery
By definition, a desert is a place where vegetation can’t be found. So, technically, your bedroom is a desert. This doesn’t have to be the case, though. You can turn your bedroom into its own oasis by bringing life indoors. Potted plants are a great way to liven up a room and add a splash of color. Plants have many other benefits as well. They purify the air, help reduce stress, and can help boost your mood and productivity, so you can get a good night’s sleep.
Turning your bedroom into a dreamy oasis doesn’t have to be as hard as it sounds. A comfortable mattress and bedding, a cozy rug, and some indoor plants are all great ways to spruce up your bedroom without having to take out a hefty loan.