A study published in 2018 revealed that one in four Cannabis users fancy using THC Vape Cartridges instead of a flower. These vape cartridges use shatter turned into oil. From 2017 to 2018, the demand drastically rose to 400%. The increasing demand drove to soaring prices of the product. So, we are here to help you turn shatter into oil at home without spending much.
For those who are yet unclear about shatter, it is a gold color cannabis extract with a glass-like texture. It is also known as shatter wax or marijuana shatter. According to experts, shatter is produced by extracting essential oil from the Cannabis plant. It contains cannabinoids, terpenes, and several biochemical compounds. So, let’s straightaway delve into how to convert shatter into oil.
Why Turn Shatter into Oil (AKA THC Vape Juice)?
Using shatter to convert it into liquid oil is easier than using plant matter such as flowers to squeeze out the oil. Moreover, you can mix the melted concentrate (i.e., shatter) into anything you prefer.
So, as you start the process, the cannabinoids in the shatter convert from THCA to THC. This homemade extraction method infuses aromatic oil like terpenes (compounds found in Cannabis) that add flavor and smell to your end product. Besides, the cannabinoids also contribute to a strong, flavorful oil that has potencies up to 90% cannabinoid content. This is perfect to use in a vape cartridge.
DIY – Change Shatter into Oil
Going ahead, we share with you the most recommended process, which gives you a quality product in the end.
- 0.5 grams shatter
- Small-size glass container
- 2 pots (or saucepan) for double boiling
- Metal or glass spatula
- Syringe to fill vape cartridges
- Liquidizer or carrier liquid such as propylene glycol (PG) or vegetable glycerine (VG)
- Thermometer (optional)
- Set a double boiler by placing a saucepan or pot (half-inch deep) on the stove and then placing another pot on it. (You can also watch YouTube videos that help you learn to melt chocolate in a double boiler.)
- Fill the second saucepan on top with water and heat it to approximately 105℃. At this stage, you can use a thermometer to get an accurate reading. That said, the temperature doesn’t have to be exact. It can be a little bit colder or hotter. Without a thermometer, you achieve that much temperature when you start seeing bubbles in the water.
- Now place a small glass container in the second pot inside and let it sit until the temperature reaches 80℃. The glass container should have a heavy bottom so that it can endure the heat.
- Now, add the shatter in the empty glass container placed on the saucepan. Let the concentrate melt for about 5 minutes.
- At this stage, add a liquidizer. Take the ratio of 1 ml liquidizer per 1-gram shatter. (EJ Mix and Wax Liquidizer are two of the best products available in the market). Alternatively, you can also add the carrier liquids mentioned in the ingredients list.
- Next, let the mixture heat up for a few minutes more.
- Take a glass or metal spatula to stir the tiny pieces of shatter. Keep stirring until it dissolves. This will take less than 10 minutes. At this point, you will see the transition of shatter into oil.
- At the final stage, take a syringe and a dispensing needle with a blunt tip to extract the liquid oil and fill the vape cartridge.
- Let the oil sit in the cartridge for about 15 minutes so that it fully absorbs the wick of the cartridge.
- If you wish to add more flavor to the liquid oil, use a natural flavor.
Naturally extracted THC vape juice has a natural flavor and is far better than its simplified synthetic version.
The main benefit of changing shatter into oil is that the use of liquid quickly stimulates the cannabinoids to enter the bloodstream. This has an immediate effect on your mind and body. Furthermore, the use of liquid oil enables users to consume a limited amount.
Inhaling the smoke of burning cannabis plant material hurts the lungs. Because they get exposed to harmful chemicals present in the smoke. What’s more, the oil lasts longer compared to other extracts and stays tasteful and flavorful for you to make the most of it.