A concrete building foundation can become damaged over time. Often, the damage takes place because of water. When a building’s foundation is not properly waterproofed, damages are likely to occur and can sometimes become expensive to repair. Waterproofing offers many advantages that can benefit commercial building owners.
What Are the Signs of Water Damage?
It is imperative building owners are aware of the signs they need to look for concerning water damage. Foundational water damage can sometimes begin subtly. The following are some of the signs that can occur when a building does not have a waterproof foundation.
- Changes in the coloration or texture of building materials
- Cracking in the foundation, walls, or flooring
- Musty odors
- Mold and mildew growth
If any of the above are noticed, a building owner needs to consider seeking waterproofing services to ensure their building is properly protected against water damage.
5 Advantages of Waterproofing a Building
Waterproofing a building is essential for protection. Not only does this service add value to a building, but it also offers many other advantages.
- Waterproofing helps to protect the structural stability of a building so damages do not occur. Not only does water damage the concrete, but it also causes damage to the rebar which can make a building less structurally sound.
- When a building has been properly waterproofed, it is less likely to experience mold growth which can be harmful to the occupants. The health of a building is protected in a profound way with waterproofing. Not only does mold cause health problems, but it can also cause damage and remediation is sometimes expensive, especially in large buildings.
- A building that is waterproofed is less likely to suffer when flooding occurs. During a flood situation, water can begin to leach into every pore of a building, leading to an influx of water. Pooling water inside and around a building causes major damages. When a building is waterproofed, time and money can be saved in the cleanup process after a flood.
- Waterproofing provides added strength to a building which is essential for its longevity. Buildings that have not been waterproofed are going to require more maintenance and repairs. These services help to protect the investment of the building owner.
- These services also help to protect the property inside the building so it is not damaged. Whether the building is an office or an apartment building, being able to protect the valuable property inside is essential for building owners.
Basement waterproofing is an integral part of the commercial waterproofing services that are offered. When a building has been properly treated, it is less likely to become damaged due to an abundance of moisture.
Reasons for Water Damage
There are a few different reasons water damage can begin occurring. The roof and gutter system play a role in helping water to be ushered away from the building. In addition to these systems, the soil type can also have a part in allowing water to enter a building. In addition to waterproofing a building, owners also need to check these other components to ensure their building is safe from water damage.
Investing in a commercial building means carrying out certain maintenance tasks. With waterproofing, a building will be able to keep its durability and resist water damage for many years to come.